Saturday, August 27, 2011

Making a vegetarian feast for meat-loving extended family

Okay, well, tomorrow I am hosting a anniversary dinner for my in-laws.  Chicken and ribs loving in-laws.  And I am a vegetarian.  Do I cook up a big pile of meat for them or do I stick to my vegetarian cooking?  Ha-no contest.  I am still utterly amazed at the array of options and flavors out there when you go vegetarian.  In fact, I am so excited to share my journey that I already made the entire dinner today... 6 hours of preparing and cooking.  The menu is Indian inspired.  Indian Lentils with Collard Greens, Spicy potato curry, Armenian lentils with caramelized onions (served with sour cream and green onion), Tabbouleh, Cucumber salad and Falfel.   Not only is is going to be AWESOMELY delicious, but way more delicious then the normal BBQ ribs, potato salad-schmalid and whatever else we used to eat.  Don't get me wrong, I could make a delicious meat-based meal that everyone would rave about.  But this is so much tastier.  I still can't believe how amazing vegetarian eating is.  Sunday evening at dinner I know I will hear, "Where's the meat?" but I will graciously smile and challenge them to tell me this isn't tastier.  And, I will make sure I am not wielding the butcher knife when they ask.

I will post photos of the feast and my experience tomorrow.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment